Longton South Primary Care Centre, Greendock Street, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, ST3 2NA

Online: Contact Us Online
Telephone: 01782 948 988 ( Out of Hours: 111 )

National Health Service Logo

Urgent Problems & Out of Hours

Life Threatening Emergencies

In a life-threatening emergency such as sudden severe chest pain, severe breathlessness, loss of power in a limb, loss of consciousness or severe bleeding dial 999.

Top of Page


The surgery is equipped to treat minor injuries like small cuts and joint sprains. If the injury is more severe or may involve a broken bone then you should attend the Accident & Emergency (A&E) Department at the following hospital:

Royal Stoke University Hospital. Tel: 01782 715444.

Minor Injuries and a range of illnesses can also be treated at the following Minor Injury Units and Walk-In Centres:

Haywood Hospital MIU. Tel: 01782 673500.

Hanley Health and Wellbeing Walk-in Centre. Tel: 0300 123 6759

Midway Medical and Walk-in Centre. Tel: 01782 663757

Also in the event of poisoning or overdose the attend A&E

Top of Page

Urgent Problems during Surgery Hours

To be seen urgently you will need to contact the surgery between 8.30am and 11.00am. The receptionists will ask you a couple of questions, then you will be given a time to come down and see a GP.

We will ask if you have seen a GP recently about this problem, and if you have, we will try and maintain continuity and put you with the same GP.

If this is a new problem, you will be given the next available appointment slot with any GP, you will not be given a choice.

We know that sometimes female patients prefer to see a female GP for female related conditions, and when available we will try to accommodate this.

Top of Page

Urgent Problems when we are Closed

If you have an urgent medical problem outside normal surgery hours  (our opening times can be found here), and you need help fast, but it is not life threatening - CALL 111 - Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Top of Page

Minor Injury Unit

Your local Minor Injury Unit (MIU) can treat a wide variety of problems. These include cuts and grazes, dog bites, sprains and strains, minor head injuries and minor burns and emergency contraception. If you have a minor illness like a cold or flu, earache, sore throat, a rash or urine infection - your MIU can help.

Haywood Hospital MIU

High Lane, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, ST6 7AG

Tel: 01782 673500

Website: www.staffordshireandstokeontrent.nhs.uk

Open 7.00am –10.00pm weekdays; 9.00am – 10.00pm weekends and bank holidays.

Top of Page

Walk in Centres

Offering same day and pre-bookable appointments for a range of minor illnesses and injuries without an appointment:

Hanley Health and Wellbeing Walk-in Centre

69-71 Stafford Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 1LW

Tel: 0300 123 6759

Website: www.hanleyhealthandwellbeingcentre.nhs.uk

Open 8.00am - 8.00pm, 7 days a week

Midway Medical and Walk-in Centre

Morston House, The Midway, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST55 1QG

Tel: 01782 66 37 57

Open 8.00am - 8.00pm, 7 days a week

Top of Page

About NHS 111

What to do when my Medical Practice is closed:

  • If you need medical help fast but it’s not an emergency call 111
  • If it’s a life-threatening emergency call 999

NHS 111 is the number to call when you need medical help fast but it’s not a life-threatening emergency.

  • Calls to 111 are FREE from landlines and mobiles
  • NHS 111 is available 24/7, every day of the year

When to call 111

  • You think you need to go to A&E or to another NHS urgent care service
  • The surgery is closed and you need healthcare advice
  • You don’t know who to call for medical help

When to all 999

  • Call 999 for life-threatening emergencies such as:
  • Major accident or trauma
  • Severe breathlessness
  • Severe bleeding
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Severe chest pain

During normal practice opening hours the practice remains your first point of contact for all routine requests.

More information about NHS 111 can be obtained from NHS choices at www.nhs.uk/111

Please only visit the A&E department if it is an emergency.